A brief but very readable and accessible book on how to make mass customization work: Dave Gardner new book "Mass Customization"
Dave Garder (see his guest article in my blog) has just published a nice short book on mass customization and what you need to know about the concept from a managerial point of view.
This book explains mass customization from the standpoint of discrete manufacturers and reviews why mass customization must be viewed as an enterprise-wide business strategy, not merely a departmental initiative. Companies with highly-configurable products need to combine the technical superiority of their products with operational excellence.
From the contents:
- Attributes of a Mass Customizer
- Back to Basics: Quote to Cash
- ERP Implementation Challenges & What to Do About Them
- Key Enablers & Mistakes Implementing Mass Customization
- Product Configurators for Mass Customization
- What Manufacturing Executives Want
- Is The Mass Customization Journey Worth It?